Saturday, March 8, 2014

I WOULD HAVE NEVER KNOWN...


This photo is a page of an online magazine, this shows some examples of some of the
subliminal messages Disney Princesses give young girls.


     Growing up, I owned every Disney Princess movie on VHS, I had a Princess Ariel Orientated bedroom, and various Disney picture books. I had an affinity towards anything Disney, But can you blame me? At four years-old Disney movies are life. Here I am fourteen-years later and learned that Disney isn't as innocent as its brought out to be in the media. Disney’s power and success is allegedly based on creating an image of innocence. Mickey Mouse Monopoly takes a close and critical view at the society the Disney films create and the subliminal stories they are trying to tell.
     Disney movies have always been known for their dainty, family oriented stories, but the truth is they send bad messages in discreet ways. I learned that Disney creates a society where young girls think its okay to stay in a relationship no matter how hard it may be. For example, in the movie The Beauty and The Beast,  the Beast is verbally abusive to Princess Belle and keeps her as prisoner. Later in the movie the Beasts attitude is changed and he basically becomes her "Prince Charming." In the documentary, Mickey Mouse Monopoly , they interviewed young girls and asked them, what advise they’d give Princess Belle if she was their friend and the girls said even though the beast is mean, Princess Belle should stay with him because she can change him into a handsome prince he is yet to be.


This Photo is an example what media makes males believe is the definition of being a "man."
     
I learned the vast influence media has brought to males in what is defined as “Manly.” I constantly see it in peoples personalities and the way they dress. I see it in my little brother even more so that he is now in middle school and is under the pressure of being cool and being a "man." I watched a video called Tough Guise, it  manifests the influence media has brought to males in what is defined to be a man, This video Features young males themselves, sharing what they believe to be characteristics of a man such as physical, strong, tough, independent, etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment